Canadian Angus Association Parentage Verification Policy
Your Association and board of directors’ goal is to help guarantee your genetics and provide bull buyers with the most accurate pedigree information possible. We can provide a SNP Parentage Verification test with double the number of SNPs so that our parentage verification is more accurate than ever. The requirements for parent verification on sires reinforces this.
The Canadian Angus policy on parentage verification states that:
All sires born on or before December 31, 2018 must have a DNA parentage profile on record with the Canadian Angus Association showing sire verification before their offspring can be registered.
All sires born on or after January 1, 2019 must have a DNA parentage profile on record with the Canadian Angus Association showing parentage verification (to both sire and dam) before their offspring can be registered.
Sires being used for AI must be parentage verified (to both sire and dam) to the before they are granted AI approval status.
What type of samples can be submitted?
Your Association strongly recommends that you collect a DNA sample on your animals when you are processing them. You are able to store most types of sample at room temperature in a safe, dry location indefinitely. Please ensure that the samples are well labelled with the animal's tattoo or registration number for ease of future use.
Samples can be submitted as:
- Hair samples should include the hair root or follicle and be affixed to hair cards available through your Association.*
- Blood cards are available through your Association.*
- Tissue sampling units (TSUs) are available through your Association. If using TSUs, please email an Excel spreadsheet of your TSU barcodes* and corresponding animal tattoo to Member Service
*see PDF guides at the bottom of this page
What type of DNA tests are there?
- Parentage Verification
- Parentage Verification
- Angus GS
- Coat Colour
- Freemartin (blood only)
- Genetic Condition Testing
- Genetic Condition Package (includes AM, CA, DD, MA, NH, OS)
- For more information on the BVD test, please visit Neogen Canada's website.
- Record animal with Canadian Angus Association or in AngusNOW.
- Setup a test request:
- When doing registrations in AngusNOW add in your alternate sire’s and choose PV or Angus GS test. NOTE currently you cannot enter requests in AngusNOW after the initial registration process.
- OR Submit your list to the member services team via email. You can use the DNA test request form or send a list via email.
- DNA paperwork will be sent to you - print the forms if emailed to you, request forms via fax or wait for them to arrive in the mail.
- Samples can be submitted through Hair, Blood or TSUs. Both hair and blood must be submitted on a Neogen hair card. Both Hair and Blood cards as well as TSUs can be purchased by calling 403-571-3580 or by emailing. These are not automatically sent out when a DNA test is requested.
- Submit clearly labelled samples with accompanying DNA test request paperwork to Neogen Canada. (Information is on the forms for where and how to send: Neogen Canada, 7323 Roper Road NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 0W4). If samples are received at the lab without paperwork and proper identification they are subject to an additional $54 fee per sample.
- Testing take 21 calendar days from the day the sample is received in the lab. Once we have received results you will be notified either via email or mail.
In an effort to ensure that the parentage of registered animals is correct and to maintain breed purity, the Canadian Angus Association verifies the parentage of every 200th registered animal. When an animal is chosen, the Association will notify the owner and a DNA parentage test will be done.
If the spot test confirms parentage, the Canadian Angus Association will pay for the test. If a parentage error is discovered, the member will be charged for the spot test and must complete an additional spot test also at their expense. In addition, for every parentage test that reveals an error, the member must complete additional spot tests, doubling the number of tests for each error.
Hair samples will be required on both the dam and the calf. If the DNA parentage markers for the sire are not already on file, they will be required as well. Test samples must be submitted within 6 months of notification or the member’s account will be suspended and the member will pay for one additional parentage test for each outstanding test.
DNA test – Parentage Test $18.00
DNA test - Female Permanent Genotyping $15.00
DNA test – Parentage Verification on Permanent Typed Genotype $6.00
DNA test – AngusGS $45.00
DNA test – Freemartin test $65.00
DNA test – Coat Colour DNA Test $20.00
DNA test – Genetic Condition test $22.00
DNA test – Genetic Condition package (MAN, AM, CA, DD, NH, OS)* new $55/animal
DNA – Foreign Markers $15.00
DNA – BVD Test $8.00