Canadian Angus Association

News & Announcements

Watch out for blue-green algae where livestock drink

In over three decades as a veterinarian, Roy Lewis never saw a cow die from ingesting blue-green algae from an infected water source. But he still says it’s an issue ranchers should watch for. Blue-green algae can be instantly deadly to an animal that ingests a sufficient amount. However, it’s tricky to identify as the culprit, making it difficult to diagnose as an official cause of death.

Read more