The annual national Canadian Junior Angus show, Showdown, began in 2000 as an outlet for juniors from across the nation to gather in one location to exhibit their Angus cattle in conformation divisions.
There have been many different activities and contests added over the years. Currently there is print marketing, sales talk, judging, team judging, team grooming, photography, literature, art, scrapbooking, graphic design, farm sign, public speaking, Angus cook-off, Spirit of Angus youth and grand aggregate. If you wish to attend and would like to apply for a bursary for travel expenses, please see link below.
Showdown 2021 “Hybrid Style”
August 26 & 27, 2021
- Lots of FUN!
Entry Deadline Extended to July 20, 2021!
- Graphic Design
- Public Speaking
Online Project Submission Deadline: August 15, 2021
Contact Naomi Best, CJA President – 204-851-7233
Robert Geis, Alberta Director - 780-674-1935
Belinda Wagner, CJA Coordinator – 306-537-1518 or email
**Event pending COVID-19 restrictions and regulations.
• Grooming • Showmanship • Angus Cook-off • Conformation • Lots of FUN!
• Photography • Judging • Graphic Design • Public Speaking • Marketing • Literature
Wednesday, August 25, 2021
1:00 pm ................. Move In Begins
Thursday, August 26, 2021
10:00 am ................ Move in Complete
11:00 am ................ Orientation and Lunch
12:30 pm ................ Team Grooming
3:00 pm .................. Showmanship
6:30 pm ................. Cook-off & BBQ
Friday, August 27, 2021
9:00 am ................. Conformation Classes
1:00 pm .................. Banquet and Awards Presentations
Release immediately following awards.
Move out must be complete by Saturday, August 28 at 12 noon.
Entries close July 15. Virtual projects due August 15 and will be judged prior to arrival in Olds.
**The Canadian Angus Foundation will be providing significant cash prizes and scholarships for the Aggregate Winners.
There will also be three draws made for vouchers to purchase Angus females - one at $3000 and two at $2000. All exhibitors will automatically be entered to win!
Visit the CAF website at cdnangus.ca/foundation/ for more information.**
Showdown 2022 will be held in Brandon, Manitoba July 27-29, 2022.
Showdown Travel & Trucking Bursaries* | Deadline: May 25 & June 1
*Suspended for 2021.
Showdown Travel & Trucking Bursaries
Awarded by the Canadian Angus Foundation and Canadian Junior Angus.
The Canadian Angus Foundation functions to preserve and expand the Angus breed for future generations through education, youth development, scientific and market research, and historical preservation and restoration. The Canadian Angus Foundation was incorporated in 1993 and is the charitable arm of the Canadian Angus Association.
The annual national Canadian Junior Angus show, Showdown, began in 2000 as an outlet for Juniors from across Canada to gather in one location to exhibit their Angus cattle in conformation divisions. There is also a showmanship contest along with many other activities and contests including grand aggregate, print marketing, sales talk, judging, team judging, team grooming, photography, literature, art, scrapbooking, graphic design, farm sign, public speaking, Angus cook-off and Spirit of Angus Youth award.
Six Canadian Angus Foundation (CAF) Showdown Travel Bursaries will be awarded in the amount of up to $750 each to deserving Canadian Junior Angus members from anywhere in Canada. Bursaries must be used within the same year awarded to help offset travel and registration costs for Showdown. Trucking assistance will be provided to those who travel over 1000 km (one way) and will be pro-rated among approved applicants. Preference will be given for members who organize travel groups and/or large shipments.
- To be considered for the individual award, complete and return your application to the
Canadian Angus Foundation by June 1.
- To be considered for the trucking award, complete and return your application to the
Canadian Angus Foundation by May 25.
- Applicants must be a member of Canadian Junior Angus.
- All applicants must be 15 years of age or older or be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Applicant must be able to attend Showdown within the year of application.
- All applications must be typed. No handwritten applications will be accepted.
- Applications must be submitted by email to Belinda Wagner with the subject line reading “Showdown Travel Bursary” or “Showdown Trucking Bursary”.
- A selection committee will evaluate applications. No interviews will be conducted. Recipients will be contacted between June 2-15 to make travel plans through Belinda Wagner.
- A complete report from the successful applicant is required within 30 days of the event.
Complete application to include:
- Cover sheet with name, contact information and Canadian Angus Association ID number.
- Résumé to include but not limited to Angus involvement within Canadian Junior Angus and provincially, industry
involvement and roles in your own Angus operation.
- Submit answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to attend Showdown and what do you hope to gain from this experience?
- Why would you be a good candidate for one of these travel bursaries?
- What return will you provide to the Foundation in exchange for the ability to attend?
Showdown 2019 took place July 18-20 in Barriere, British Columbia. Thank you to all our sponsors, organizers and juniors for making it a success!