The annual national Canadian Junior Angus show, Showdown, began in 2000 as an outlet for juniors from across the nation to gather in one location to exhibit their Angus cattle in conformation divisions.
There have been many different activities and contests added over the years. Currently there is print marketing, sales talk, judging, team judging, team grooming, photography, literature, art, scrapbooking, graphic design, farm sign, public speaking, Angus cook-off, Spirit of Angus youth and grand aggregate. If you wish to attend and would like to apply for a bursary for travel expenses, please see link below.
CANADIAN JUNIOR ANGUS SHOWDOWN RESCHEDULED FOR 2021
May 5, 2020
Canadian Junior Angus (CJA) has made the difficult decision to cancel our National Junior Angus Show, Showdown 2020, scheduled for Brandon, Manitoba this July due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The health and safety of our members and their families are our priority and with the uncertainty of what the summer will bring with the virus, government regulations and travel, cancelling the show was really the only responsible option available to us. We are disappointed that we will not be able to get together with our Junior Angus family this summer, however we look forward to heading to Brandon next July 22–24 for Showdown 2021.
Any 2020 entries received will be refunded and sponsors will be contacted regarding refunds and/or deferring their sponsorship to next year’s show.
The CJA board are working on details for a Showdown 2020 Online Challenge to engage with members across the country July 20–25, so please watch the CAA website and our social media channels for more information on the Challenge in early June. We encourage your participation! If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any CJA board member. Stay safe and healthy.
For more information, please contact:
Belinda Wagner CJA Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org 306-757-6133
Tyra Fox CJA President email@example.com 780-871-2563
Showdown Travel & Trucking Bursaries | Deadline: May 25 & June 1
Showdown Travel & Trucking Bursaries
Awarded by the Canadian Angus Foundation and Canadian Junior Angus.
The Canadian Angus Foundation functions to preserve and expand the Angus breed for future generations through education, youth development, scientific and market research, and historical preservation and restoration. The Canadian Angus Foundation was incorporated in 1993 and is the charitable arm of the Canadian Angus Association.
The annual national Canadian Junior Angus show, Showdown, began in 2000 as an outlet for Juniors from across Canada to gather in one location to exhibit their Angus cattle in conformation divisions. There is also a showmanship contest along with many other activities and contests including grand aggregate, print marketing, sales talk, judging, team judging, team grooming, photography, literature, art, scrapbooking, graphic design, farm sign, public speaking, Angus cook-off and Spirit of Angus Youth award.
Six Canadian Angus Foundation (CAF) Showdown Travel Bursaries will be awarded in the amount of up to $750 each to deserving CJA members from anywhere in Canada. Bursaries must be used within the same year awarded to help offset travel and registration costs for Showdown. Trucking assistance will be provided to those who travel over 1000 km (one way) and will be pro-rated among approved applicants. Preference will be given for members who organize travel groups and/or large shipments.
- To be considered for the individual award, complete and return your application to the
Canadian Angus Foundation by June 1.
- To be considered for the trucking award, complete and return your application to the
Canadian Angus Foundation by May 25.
- Applicants must be a member of Canadian Junior Angus.
- All applicants must be 15 years of age or older or be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Applicant must be able to attend Showdown within the year of application.
- All applications must be typed. No handwritten applications will be accepted.
- Applications must be submitted by email to Belinda Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line
reading “Showdown Travel Bursary” or “Showdown Trucking Bursary”.
- A selection committee will evaluate applications. No interviews will be conducted. Recipients will be contacted between June 2-15 to make travel plans through Belinda Wagner.
- A complete report from the successful applicant is required within 30 days of the event.
Complete application to include:
- Cover sheet with name, contact information and CAA ID number.
- Résumé to include but not limited to Angus involvement within CJA and provincially, industry
involvement and roles in your own Angus operation.
- Submit answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to attend Showdown and what do you hope to gain from this experience?
- Why would you be a good candidate for one of these travel bursaries?
- What return will you provide to the Foundation in exchange for the ability to attend?
Showdown 2019 took place July 18-20 in Barriere, British Columbia. Thank you to all our sponsors, organizers and juniors for making it a success!